The island of Mljet, with its National Park - a natural phenomenon set aside and protected by the highest form of nature conservation due to its landscape, vegetation, geological, cultural and historical values - ranks among the most attractive island landscapes...
MLJET, an island in the southern Dalmatian archipelago, south of the Peljesac Peninsula, separated from it by the Mljet channel. The relief is characterized by ranges of limestone elevations and numerous karst valleys and fields. South of the highest crest (Veli Grad, 514 m) is the largest field zone (Babino Polje). In the extreme north-western part of the island is the submerged valley of Mljet Lakes: Malo and Veliko (Small and Big). Small Lake is connected with a 30-m long canal with Big Lake. Big Lake is connected with the open sea by a shallow, 30-m long canal called Soline. A powerful sea current occurs in both channels, which changes its direction every six hours due to ebb and flow. In the Middle Ages, the change of direction of the sea current was used for water mills. Larger coves are Luka, Polaca, Tatinica, Sobra, Luka Prozura, Okuklje, Saplunara; along the coast are numerous islets.
The island of Mljet, with its National Park - a natural phenomenon set aside and protected by the highest form of nature conservation due to its landscape, vegetation, geological, cultural and historical values - ranks among the most attractive island landscapes.
It is famous for its wildlife - fallow deer, wild boars and especially for mongooses, which were brought in 1910 to exterminate venomous snakes - it seems that the island has always lived in legends, such as the one about a visit of Paul the Apostle or Emperor August. Today, accommodation facilities (boarding houses, apartments), home-made food and local specialities (fish, spiny lobsters, cheese, wine), a network of visitor trails, traditional folk music and picturesque traditional costumes - all this will make a visit to Mljet as if "a dream came true". The harbours of Polaca and Pomena are traditional destinations of boaters.
On the peak of Mali Gradac (close to Babine Kuce) are the remains of an Illyrian fortification. The island was mentioned in Roman times under the name Melite. The remains from that period may be found all over the island - Pomena, Zare, Pinjevica.
The ruins of palaces and of an early Christian basilica in Polace date back from the beginning of the early Middle Ages. Around 536-537 the island became part of the Eastern Roman Empire. Later it fell under the power of the Nerentani/Narentini and after that under the power of Zahumlje.
In 1151, the grand prefect of Zahumlje, Desa, bestowed the entire island upon the Benedictines (from the abbey Pulsano at Monte Gargano in Apulia), who erected their abbey and church on the islet in Big Lake.
The Bosnian viceroy Stephen gave the island of Mljet to the Dubrovnik Republic in 1333; from that time the island was under the power of the duke who resided in Babino Polje. In 1345 Mljet got its statutes. Several churches were built in Gothic. The ruins of the church of St. Mary of the Hill date back to the transitional period between Gothic and Renaissance. The profane architecture is represented by several typical structures (Renaissance palace of the Mljet duke in Babino Polje, several Baroque houses from the 17th-18th c. in Korita).
get the best deal
& the best yacht