Situated at the impressive confluence of the Cetina into the sea (with a modern bridge, which makes part of the surroundings), Omis is known as a mediaeval pirate center...
OMIS, a small town and port at the mouth of the Cetina river in the littoral of Poljica, 26 km southeast of Split. Extensive sand beaches stretch from Dugi Rat in the west to Ravnice in the east. A 700-m wide shallow stretches off the low sand coast west of Omis, created by the drifts of the Cetina. In the eastern part of the Poljica littoral, between Ravnice and Vrulja, are several coves (Mala Luka, Velika Luka, Lucica and Vojskovo) with sand-pebble beaches.
Situated at the impressive confluence of the Cetina into the sea (with a modern bridge, which makes part of the surroundings), Omis is known as a mediaeval pirate centre. Picturesque mountains and the river enclose the urban core with fortresses. On the coast is an almost 1-km long sand beach (ideal for children) and the 700-m long shallow, created by the Cetina drifts. Major attractions include quality accommodation facilities, good traffic connections, gastronomic offer (the hinterland of Omis is famous for wholesome foods) and the Cetina canyon - Zadvarje – Gubavica.
Omis provides numerous sports and recreational facilities; football and basketball playgrounds, tennis courts, boccia alleys; beach volleyball may be played on the beach. There are 30 free climbing trails on the cliffs of the Cetina canyon; water sports equipment is rented; a swimming marathon for recreation enthusiasts is regularly organized.
Populated as early as Roman times (Oneum), Omis was a fortified town in the Middle Ages. It had many rulers and masters in its past; in 1444 it came under the power of Venice. The remains of mediaeval fortifications include the southern town gate with a part of the walls, the south-western quadrangular tower on "Fosal", the fortification on the cliff above the town and the grandiose ruins of the fortress Starigrad(Fortica) on the hill above Omis (311 m).
The main street leads from the southern gate toward the Cetina, along with the "Fosal". On the square is the parish church from the 17th century with a nice portal (1621) and a bell tower; it features two paintings by the painter Matteo Ingoli from Ravenna and a Gothic wooden cross from the 15th century. One of the Renaissance-style houses close to the church houses the local museum collection (archaeological, cultural, historical and ethnographic exhibits from the region of Omi and the nearby Poljica).
At the end of the main street is a small church of the Holy Spirit from the 16th century; the Renaissance wooden altar features the painting Descent of the Holy Spirit by the Venetian painter J. Palma the Younger. Next to the church is a clock tower. Below it is the stairway to the upper part of the town.
Along the river is the house of the Radman family with a collection of stone fragments (ancient times, Gothic, Renaissance) and cultural and historical artefacts (18th-19th c.). On the right bank of the Cetina is the locality of Priko with a small pre-Romanesque church of St. Peter (10th c.), mentioned in the deeds of national rulers from the 10th and the 11th centuries. The Franciscan monastery, built in the 18th century, has a collection of works of art, the archives containing Turkish documents and a library.
get the best deal
& the best yacht