Among all places on the island of Rab, Kampor has best preserved its aspect of an old fishermen's village...
KAMPOR, a village in the north-western part of the island of Rab, on the coast of the wide Kampor cove (Kamporska Draga). The Roman name originates from the word campus (field). The inhabitants of Kampor have been depending on agriculture ever since ancient times, which is recently supported by the development of tourism.
Among all places on the island of Rab, Kampor has best preserved its aspect of an old fishermen's village; old houses at the foot of the hill as well as the new ones, designed for tourists, almost fully cultivated fields and orchards, the catch of skilled fishermen and the atmosphere of a peaceful village are major attractions of this picturesque village.
The green environment - the vicinity of the Kalifron peninsula with the well-preserved Dundo Forest - provides a nice scenery for long walks, and the nearby tourist resorts Suha Punta and Rab offer entertainment in the evening.
There is a Franciscan monastery from 1458 in the St. Fumija Bay, with an earlier Romanesque church of St. Euphemia, mentioned in 1237. Close to the monastery is the Gothic church of St. Bernardin, built parallelly with the monastery, reconstructed in Baroque style in the 17th century. The church has a clustered painted ceiling and a choir with a groin vault above; the protomaster of both structures is George Dimitrius of Zadar (Juraj Dimitrov Zadranin). The side chapels contain a polyptych by the Vivarini brothers dating back to 1458 and a late Gothic wooden crucifix, as well as a more recent Way of the Cross by Father A. Testen (lived in Kampor). The cloister includes a collection of stone monuments with Roman inscriptions, fragments of early mediaeval plastics (capitals, a 7th-century relief), and a sarcophagus of the founder of the monastery, Manda Budrisic. The monastery archives and library keep incunabula and illuminated codices from the 14th and 15th centuries. Cape Kastelina includes the -ruins of a large Roman villa. During the Second World War there was a concentration camp in the vicinity of Kampor; in 1955 a memorial complex (Edo Ravnikar) was erected, with mosaic compositions (Marij Pregelj). Within the Homeland Museum in Kampor, the Memorial Collection of the painter Father Ambros Testen was opened in 1989.
get the best deal
& the best yacht