The long tradition in tourism dates back to the 1880s and is connected with the visitors who came to MALI LOSINJ for health purposes...
MALI LOSINJ, a town, port and tourist resort on the island of Losinj, situated on the south-eastern part of a large and well-protected bay. The favourable climate, hotels and villas, afforestation, well-equipped and easily accessible beaches have given rise to intense development of tourism. The town itself lies in the most protected part of the bay. The houses are arranged amphitheatrically. Along the coast, free space is left, designated for public life of the town. Much of the town lies on the eastern side, exposed to the sun. A road to Veli Losinj runs from the south-eastern part of the bay. As nautical tourism started to develop intensely, there is a marina in the port of Mali Losinj, equipped for all types of yachts and motor boats.
The long tradition in tourism dates back to the 1880s and is connected with the visitors who came to Mali Losinj for health purposes. In 1886 the Society for Beautification and Afforestation of Mali Losinj was established, thanks to whose efforts the Cikat Peninsula and the surrounding rocky ground were planted with Aleppo pines, which makes Cikat even today, along with the Sunny Coast, the major tourist zone.
Mali Losinj is today the tourist centre on the island. Its offer includes versatile, good quality accommodation facilities (hotels, boarding houses, apartments, campsites), sports and recreational facilities (yachting school, diving school, surfing, angling, tennis, miniature golf, bowling centre), specialities of domestic and international cuisine, as well as several cultural events, walks - sightseeing tours, ship excursions.
Major events: international tennis tournaments - Losinj Riviera (in June and July); Losinj Regatta (beginning of August); International Spear-Fishing Competition (in December); Assumption (15th of August); Fishermen's Nights (July to August); Brass Orchestra and the Majorettes - held every week (from 1st of July to 31st of August).
First mentioned in 1398. Because of permanent threat from pirates, a tower was erected in the 15th century to provide a shelter. Sudden development of seafaring and shipbuilding in the 18th and 19th centuries, when the village turned into a town, was accompanied by the evolution of the type of houses called captain's house. The houses, in the middle of the gardens planted with the Mediterranean vegetation, are marked predominantly by stylistic features of the late Baroque and classicsm. The furniture is exquisite, includes many works of art, particularly portraits.
The church of St. Martin, today within a cemetery, was built between 1450 and 1490. The original settlement developed around it. In 1696 the three-nave church of The Nativity of Our Lady was erected in the centre; annexed by another colonnade, finished in 1757. There is the "Calvary" on the opposite hill, with Baroque stations. The church of the Annunciation on the Cikat Peninsula contains votive pictures of the sailors from the 19th century. - At the end of the 19th century, when tourism saw its boom, Villa Karolina on Cikat as well as several hotels were built in various architectural styles.
get the best deal
& the best yacht